Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Fri Dec 29, 2000  2:06 am
Subject:  Ballet for the classical singer

Hi, folks --

I could use some stage grace. I took ballet for a
couple of years when I was young, and quit a few
months after I got on pointe ("ouch" was the operative
word there). I'm thinking of going back to it.

I am, at this stage in my life, VERY unflexible, have
forgotten all the moves and any sense of coordination
or elegance, and am about 5 pounds overweight (that's
10 pounds in ballet language). Who here dances? What
kind of progress can I expect to see (in terms of
singing benefits or in terms of looking good
technically dancing and stretching), and how will it
help my operatic training? I vaguely remember some
sort of "suck in the stomach and breathe up into the
shoulders" thing from the dredges of my memory; will
it hurt my singing?

I'm planning to take two classes (1.5 hours each) a
week for a few months, working up to four classes a
week, and possibly five in a couple of years. (No, I
never do anything halfway.) My current singing
schedule is 3 hours of lessons a week, a coaching
every two weeks, and language lessons three times a
week. I'm also about to go get an MA in Italian. My
voice teacher has sugggested that dance study will
round out all this training nicely.

Two questions: One, talk to me about ballet dancing.
Two, am I missing anything from my schedule? A
workshop or other performing opportunity would be
nice, but what else am I missing? I have a BA (not in
music) from university, so never got all that
conservatory-type training when I had the chance.
Alexander Technique? Or Pilates or Felden-whatever?
An acting class? Fencing? Basket-weaving? Tragic
Gestures 101?

Opinionate at will. :)

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte
San Francisco, CA
ibracamonte@y...

kerubiino@h...Mezzoid@a...Greypins@a...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
7885 Re: Ballet for the classical singer kerubiino@h...   Fri  12/29/2000   2 KB
7887 Re: Ballet for the classical singer Mezzoid@a...   Fri  12/29/2000   2 KB
7894 Re: Ballet for the classical singer Greypins@a...   Fri  12/29/2000   2 KB
7897 Re: Ballet for the classical singer Karen Mercedes   Fri  12/29/2000   3 KB
7903 Re: Ballet for the classical singer Ian Belsey   Fri  12/29/2000   5 KB
7913 Re: Ballet for the classical singer Fiona Chow   Fri  12/29/2000   2 KB
7922 Re: Ballet for the classical singer Anne Cronvich   Sat  12/30/2000   3 KB
7932 Re: Ballet for the classical singer Margaret Harrison   Sat  12/30/2000   3 KB
7939 Re: [vocalist-temporary] Alexander Technique (was M.J. Ruhl   Sat  12/30/2000   2 KB

emusic.com