Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Brenda Christophersen & Stephen Lummus" <lumsen@1...>
"Brenda Christophersen & Stephen Lummus" <lumsen@1...>
Date:  Fri Dec 29, 2000  3:22 am
Subject:  Re: English Song Lit....or the like

Greetings to everyone!
This will be my first post as a new member of this group. I have found all of
you to be quite professional, witty and friendly. Afterall, we ARE singing
musicians, right? Anyway, I am very honored to be part of this list and I thank
you for the opportunity to share with you my thoughts and ideas.

I am sure many of you are familiar with Bernstein's "I Hate Music" Song Cycle.
I have always found it rather adorable. Well, maybe adorable isn't the correct
term, however, I thought I might throw in my 2 cents as to the question posted
by Lynda Lacy. This collection is appropriate for HS and has a couple of
challenging sections. Mostly, it is fun and very different. It is not at all
dark, but, very amusing. I think the best part of this cycle is the ability for
the performer to 'play' with the songs....as in a bit of acting.

Anyway, Lynda, if I can think of some more (and I agree with the Rorem
choices), I will post them if you'd like. I think it's truly wonderful that you
are working with your daughter on this recital and you are passing down your
love of music (as well as your profession) down to another generation. Best
Wishes and God Bless you and your family.

Brenda
" I sing...therefore, I am"

7886 Re: English Song Lit....or the like LYNDA313@a...   Fri  12/29/2000   3 KB

emusic.com