Vocalist.org archive

From:  Lana Mountford <lana@a...>
Lana Mountford <lana@a...>
Date:  Thu Dec 28, 2000  11:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] MUSIC CLASSES FOR DEAF PEOPLE WAS:a call for peace

If Evelyn Glennie can manage to make a living as a serious solo concert
percussionist while profoundly deaf, I don't see anything inherently wrong with
a deaf person in a piano class. If you've never seen Evelyn Glennie in
concert, you've missed an incredible experience. She's simply amazing! She
has her own website ( http://www.evelyn.co.uk/ ), which includes an essay on
deafness and music ( http://www.evelyn.co.uk/script.htm ).

A young man who is both profoundly deaf and blind recently joined the church
choir I direct. He'll be signing for our 11:00am service as well as singing in
the choir (and signing our anthems, responses, etc. at the same time). He has
a very nice baritone voice, sings on pitch (and from memory), and is an
expressive signer. He has occasional problems with dynamics, but we work those
out. I give him the music ahead of time, and he has someone translate the
lyrics into braille for him, which he brings to each rehearsal, making notes in
pencil as we rehearse. I also give him a tape of the baritone part for each
piece, and he then records each rehearsal. So far, it's working out great. I
now have *6* basses/baritones, 5 altos, 6 sopranos, and 2 tenors. Life is good
(although I'd be thrilled to get another tenor).

Cheers!

Lana

<< snip >>

--
Explain it as we may, a martial strain will urge a man into the front rank of
battle sooner than an argument, and a fine anthem excite his devotion more

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
7893 Re: MUSIC CLASSES FOR DEAF PEOPLE WAS:a call for Greypins@a...   Fri  12/29/2000   3 KB

emusic.com