Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Thu Dec 28, 2000  11:22 pm
Subject:  Re: Reflux-again.

> The medication I have been put onto is fiendishly
> expensive. I am just
> wondering if there is anything cheaper on the market
> to suggest to my
> students at College of Music, who come mainly from
> previously disadvantaged
> backgrounds.

Having suffered from reflux for a number of years and
finally having got it under control (talk about a HUGE
difference vocally, as well as no more stomach pain,
no more continual goop in my throat, many fewer sore
throats...), I can make a few suggestions. One of them
would be to go to a doctor, except that after having
been to a number of doctors, I was the one who figured
out what worked best for me, so don't expect the
doctor to have all the answers :o). I use Pepcid (aka
famotidine), which you can get over the counter in
Canada and the US - not sure about where you are. It's
quite inexpensive, especially compared to other
frequently prescribed stomach medications like Losec
(aka Prilosec in the US) which do absolutely nothing
for me. Also Zantac is quite effective (aka
ranitidine), and it is also available over the counter
here relatively inexpensively.

> Anyone tried
> putting a box-bed on
> bricks??

Yep! This is an absolute must for me. I have the head
of my bed raised about 8 inches and it has made a
world of difference. Took me a while to figure out how
to stay in bed though... (felt like a Minbari at first
:o). I ended up having to readust how I was sleeping
so the foot of my bed is against the wall - that way I
don't fall out! Additionally, don't eat for at least
2-3 hours before going to bed (and don't lie down to
nap after eating during the day either). If the person
is overweight losing a few pounds can help. Avoid
spicy foods, peppermint, carbonated beverages, acidic
foods (orange juice was a killer for me), and anything
else that might upset your stomach. There are other
things on the list to avoid, but I can't remember
since they didn't apply to me (as in I didn't partake
before). If stomach pain is a problem, I've also found
that chamomile tea can be very soothing.

Hope this helps, and feel free to e-mail me privately
for more info.

Jennifer
ihateegroups@y...
ihateegroups@y...

7888 Re: Reflux-again. Jennifer L. Fretwell   Fri  12/29/2000   2 KB

emusic.com