Vocalist.org archive

From:  Annie Hughes <aehughes@y...>
Annie Hughes <aehughes@y...>
Date:  Thu Dec 28, 2000  3:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] 12 Days - Alternate Lyrics

I don't know that one...but I have lyrics to a little
ditty called:

The Twelve Days After Christmas

By Frederick Silver

The first day after Christmas my true love and I had a
fight
And so I chopped the pear tree down and burned it just
for spite
Then with a single cartridge, I shot that blasted
partridge
My true love, my true love, my true love gave to me

The second day after Christmas, I pulled on the old
rubber gloves
And very gently wrung the necks of both the turtle
doves
My true love, my true love, my true love gave to me
The third day after Christmas, my mother caught the
croup;
I had to use the three Frech hens to make some chicken
soup
The four calling birds were a big mistake,
for their language was obscene
The five gold rings were completely fake and they
turned my fingers green

The sixth day after Christmas, the six laying geese
wouldn't lay
I gave the whole darn gaggle to the A.S.P.C.A.
On the seventh day what a mess I found
All seven of the swimming swans had drowned
My true love, my true love, my true love gave to me

The eighth day after Christmas, before they could
suspect,
I bundled up the eight maids a milking, nine pipers
piping,
Ten ladies dancing, 'leven lords a leaping,
Twelve drummers drumming

(Well - actually - I kept one of the drummers...)

and sent them back collect

I wrote my true love, "We are through, love",
and I said in so many words,

"Furthermore your Christmas gifts were for the four
calling birds, three french hens, two turtle doves and
the partridge in the pera tree!"

=====
Annie Hughes
http://www.anniehughes.com
"And since life is the sound of the sheep
And the taste of the stew
And the way that you feel
When He touches you
Now your whole life is different