Vocalist.org archive

From:  Peter Louis van Dijk <plvdijk@i...>
Peter Louis van Dijk <plvdijk@i...>
Date:  Thu Dec 28, 2000  7:08 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Reflux-again.

Thanks for that. I have actually seen my cords in action on video.(ENT was
trying out a new scope and I don't gag easily!). There is just the slightest
bump in the membranes. Awesome to see.
Next question: surely the action of the cords with one's tongue touching
one's ankles can't be the same as when you are singing with an "open"
throat, i.e with the larynx at a slightly lower position than it can be
during this kind of examination? How would one be able to see this? I have
had a tube down my nose, but if I sing properly, the light at the end is not
strong enough to see. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Susi
Cape Town

----------
>From: "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
>From: "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
>To: vocalist-temporary@egroups.com
>Subject: Re: [vocalist-temporary] Reflux-again.
>Date: Wed, Dec 27, 2000, 8:05 PM
>

> "Nodules" typically refers to thickening of the membranes of the folds due
> to chronic irritation. Think of them as callouses. Typically it is
> mechanical irritation as in overuse or poor techniques.
>
> Reflux tends to cause reddening and swelling. This might lead to poor
> technique to compensate, but to my knowledge reflux per se does not cause
> nodules.
>
> John
>
> John J. Messmer, M.D.
> Assistant Professor, Family & Community Medicine
> Penn State College of Medicine
>

>> I have been told by my ENT that small soft nodules are typical symptoms
> for
>> someone suffering from reflux over an extended period. I don't quite
>> understand how that works. Any offers?

emusic.com