Vocalist.org archive

From:  cantare@p...
cantare@p...
Date:  Thu Dec 28, 2000  1:21 am
Subject:  Re: Reply to P.J. Garner

Many people have terrible hardships in their lives, and give much to
others. This is commendable. However, personal pain does not make
right the behavior we witnessed on this list by Ms. Ludwig.

All the indignation and lashing out she exhibited had to do with a
fairly well-known story about a very famous person whose career ended
some time ago. Lloyd Hanson merely referred to this story, and
demurred from repeating it, because he said it is *not clear* whether
or not it is true. However, the point of the story, true or not, was
to illustrate a certain admirable characteristic about Ms. Farrell -
not to disparage her or spread malicious lies about her.

It is wonderful - and important - to be ethical and scrupulous, but
one also has to be discriminating. What is the intent of the supposed
ethical "wrong?" Is it really hurting someone, or is there some other
purpose for this breach of rules?

I think the reason so many listers lashed right back at Ms. Ludwig is
because most of us don't like to be accused of doing something
malicious when we are not doing something malicious. Sometimes it's
better to sit back and consider the entire situation before casting
blanket condemnation upon others.

Sincerely,
Karena Aslanian

emusic.com