Vocalist.org archive

From:  nubian2@h...
nubian2@h...
Date:  Wed Dec 27, 2000  9:19 pm
Subject:  Mouth opening?

I have always been told by teachers to get a good opening when I sing
by dropping my jaw. I think that this has been to my detrement, when
I open it like they say, the sound feels trapped and very big in my
head but not focused. Singing that way made me feel very tired. I
feel like it made me swallow my sound back in my throat.

On the other hand, I find that when I am supporting and relax my jaw
and let it hang open, I make a very small, but connected sound that
is tension free and has a lot of ping and warmth. I love the way it
feels when I sing this way. Even though it is very easy and small to
me when I sing this way, my mother says it is EXTREMELY loud in the
house. It sounds to me like this must be the right way to sing. It
is easy and focused and sounds way louder outside than it does to me
in my head. I just find it weird though, because I have always been
told to open your mouth really wide, but when I am singing at my most
relaxed, I look in the mirror and my mouth is not very wide (except
when I go past the second G after middle C (I'm a mezzo........)

I would love to hear thoughts on this.......

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
7819 Re: Mouth opening? Mezzoid@a...   Wed  12/27/2000   3 KB
7823 Re: Mouth opening? thomas mark montgomery   Wed  12/27/2000   3 KB
7835 Re: Mouth opening? Ian Belsey   Thu  12/28/2000   2 KB

emusic.com