Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Mon Dec 25, 2000  9:50 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] This dam open throat technique

Ken wrote...
><<I still have an open throat when in the middle and at the bottom, but not
>as open as
>it is at the top. First of all, when I do this, I feel like I sound like a
>fog horn. It totally covers my sound. She thinks that I sound louder when
>do this. Perhaps I do, but it sounds muddy or clouded>>

Dear Ken,
A few weeks ago I wrote about this but it somehow
got diverted. It's my opinion that you have to make a decision which
of the two approaches to pursue.
I agree that the space you're trying for will seem to
produce a darker tone from within your head but not from outside,
at least not as much as it seems to you. I've found that the space at
the upper pharynx we're trying for produces all sorts of positive results.
The trouble I feel is that the internal sound produced correctly can
easily be confused with a nasal tone. The gentle nostril closure with
the finger tips can help you sort one from the other.
Another thing I've found helpful is the purposeful
raising of the uvula in front of a mirror until you can control the
tendency to gag. : ) Not saying that this carries through to your
singing, I think it exercises muscles in that area and this enables
an easier modification of them as required when you're singing.
This SHOULD make singing easier and painless but
there's always the drive to over do it. Resist that if you can.
Oh, and work on the low pitches first. Good luck.

Regards Reg.

emusic.com