Vocalist.org archive

From:  Oberon603@a...
Oberon603@a...
Date:  Sun Dec 24, 2000  8:19 pm
Subject:  This dam open throat technique

My teacher has me trying something that's new to me, something that I don't
like. She's trying to get me to sing with more of an open throat. Kind of
like an artificial yawn. Now, I have always sang with an open throat at the
top (or I have always tried to). I know that you need the space in your
throat when your up high, otherwise the notes sound held, or tight. However
is that so necessary when singing in the low middle & at the bottom? I still
have an open throat when in the middle and at the bottom, but not as open as
it is at the top. First of all, when I do this, I feel like I sound like a
fog horn. It totally covers my sound. She thinks that I sound louder when I
do this. Perhaps I do, but it sounds muddy or clouded. Like a church alto.
CT's are not super loud in that part of the register in the 1st place. I
would rather work on getting more bite (resonance) in that part of my
register so it will carry. I don't like covering in that part of my range,
except when in the chest sometimes. I had my lesson this past Thursday, &
this was when she was told me to try this. Friday & Saturday, I sang off and
on throughout the day trying this technique. I hated the way my voice
sounded, kept loosing my resonance, felt like I was supporting from my
throat/neck, & ended up going to bed with a tired soar throat. Thank God it
was gone this morning. Is this something that's normal to people? Singing
with a wide yawn like open throat throughout their entire range? I prefer to
be slightly open in this area, but a more natural openness. Please help,
even if it's after the holidays!!! I don't have a lesson for like 2 weeks.
Much thanks, & Merry Christmas.

Ken

7768 Re: This dam open throat technique Greypins@a...   Mon  12/25/2000   2 KB
7769 Re: This dam open throat technique David Grogan   Mon  12/25/2000   3 KB
7770 Re: This dam open throat technique Reg Boyle   Mon  12/25/2000   3 KB
7771 Re: This dam open throat technique Ian Belsey   Mon  12/25/2000   4 KB
7776 Re: This dam open throat technique Oberon603@a...   Mon  12/25/2000   2 KB
7777 Re: This dam open throat technique Oberon603@a...   Mon  12/25/2000   2 KB
7778 Re: This dam open throat technique Oberon603@a...   Mon  12/25/2000   2 KB
7779 Re: This dam open throat technique Oberon603@a...   Mon  12/25/2000   2 KB