Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Fri Dec 15, 2000  9:25 pm
Subject:  Re: Male head voice - vibratory pattern

Hello Wim

Thanks for the information about yourself and your studies. I contacted
Donald Miller soon after his article came out in the NATS Journal of
Singing about 2 years ago. I was going on sabbatical and I was interested
in observing the reseach lab in which he worked in the Netherlands and the
work of his mentor there. However, I was not able to travel out of the USA
during my short one semester sabbatcal.

His article raised a lot of viewpoints that I had long considered and it
questioned some viewpoints that I had used as reference material. Thus the
interest. We are always looking for the most accurate form of information
and we never quit learning.

The Electroglottograph primarily indicates the degree of vocal fold closure
verses vocal fold opening on each cycle, if my memory with the device is
correct. I do not understand how this information would also indicate
accurately the vibratory patterns of the vocal folds such as the "ribbon'
movement of the vocal folds, that is, their simultaneous movements up and
down as well as side to side, nor the wave or " ripple" effect that also
can be present in vocal fold oscillation. It is these various forms of
oscillation that Titze indicates are the causes of phonational register
changes. Each mode of oscillation is, in effect, a different register.

Stroboscopic examinations show these modes of oscillation quite clearly and
their changes between modes, all the while maintaining a consistency of a
well produced fundamental frequency in an ascending scale. It has been
assumed, as I understand it, that the harmonic spectrum produced by each
phonational mode is slightly different which would explain some of the
differences in timbre between registers.

Of course, the primary differences in vocal timbre are created in the vocal
tract through the effects of all forms of resonance as Donald Miller's
article so clearly pointed out and, I assume from your summary of his
thesis, he continues in more detail.

There is always the danger that we will hold any finding of fact about vocal
function to be paramount over other equally important information. I agree
with Donald Miller that resonance is a much stronger controller and more
important influence on vocal timbre than has generally been considered.
But phonational sound as a phenomenon that is the source of the resonated
tone, is in need of an equal consideration and research.

A very good discussion

Regards
--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Vocal Pedagogy

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
7657 Re: Male head voice - vibratory pattern Wim Ritzerfeld   Fri  12/15/2000   3 KB
7659 Re: Male head voice - vibratory pattern Lloyd W. Hanson   Sat  12/16/2000   2 KB

emusic.com