Vocalist.org archive

From:  Denis Lanza <dlanza@h...>
Denis Lanza <dlanza@h...>
Date:  Thu Dec 14, 2000  3:40 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] Re: BAROQUE TENOR

I, myself, have a true natural lyric tenor and I can pull chest up to
Tenor High C and sustain BUT I know now that this is NOT a good thing! I
actually thought that it was my head voice because it went right up there I
guess due to the kind of voice I have?? So when I started working with Seth
Riggs and Speech Level Singing and he started guiding me through the bridges
(passagi) and taking me into my real head voice, it was very strange and
foreign to me. I thought that I was in falsetto because I had never
experienced such a thing in my voice. It felt smaller and thinner and less
work was involved. But it was connected to the bottom and never flipped into
a falsetto production. We vocalized up to a High F above Tenor C in a
connected head voice (no crack or break into falsetto). I could of gone
higher but he felt that that was enough to prove his point about staying
connected into the head voice in the high register. Incidentally I can sing
a High C above that and sustain! Anywho, when I listened back to the tape
this morning I heard that it was connected tone and NOT falsetto but my real
head voice. Now how the hell do I strengthen the damn thing to pro
performance level?? Oh laudy! :)
Yours In Music,
Denis J. Lanza
Vocalist