Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Thu Dec 14, 2000  2:53 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] 2 Questions

I can't answer 1), though I would love to see what others say.
As for 2) you might want to isolate what you're doing i.e. to break it
down into components - then it should be a bit easier to give it up, bit by
bit. For instance, you couls see if there is stiffness in the tongue, which
you can ameliorate by sticking your tongue out (before singing!) and
keeping it mobile even while singing. You might want to keep your jaw
gently mobile too. Then maybe sing loud passages somewhat quieter than you
might otherwise, searching for resonance rather than force. A nice head
tone is not going to sound very big inside your head, even although it
carries etc.
Most importantly, practice what you have changed, so that you have
something to fight your old habits with when they, in the stress of
performing (as I call it: the heat of battle) attempt to re-assert themselves.
I've done what you've done, and it took me a *very* long time to get out
of it. I wish you swifter success. john

At 11:47 PM 12/13/00 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi everyone -
>
>A couple questions:
>
>1) Is there such a thing as a career recitalist, and how does one go
>about becoming one if so?
>
>2) Does anyone know good exercises for relaxing the throat? I have
>been using my throat to control my tone for many years, and it is
>proving a very difficult habit to break. I've been using
>visualization and relaxation techniques, but nothing has "clicked"
>yet.
>
>Any input is appreciated!
>
>Thanks,

John Blyth