Vocalist.org archive

From:  LMorgan923@a...
LMorgan923@a...
Date:  Thu Dec 14, 2000  2:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] remembering John Lennon

In a message dated 12/13/2000 7:12:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
peggyh@i... writes:
peggyh@i... writes:

<< When I was in college - and this was before the Beatles broke up, mind
you, my theory teacher (who performed a lot of 20th century music and had us
doing atonal sight-singing every day) brought into our advanced theory class
for harmonic dictation some songs from Abbey Road, and for rhythmic
dictation, the piano intro to "Martha My Dear" from the White Album. >>

This subject has been on my mind recently. We got a recordable CD drive
for each other for Christmas this year. The first CD I burned was all my
favorite Beatles' songs. I've been listening to it in the car this week, on
my one-hour drive to and from rehearsals and a performance I had on Tuesday.
This is the first time that I've ever listened intensively to a selection of
songs from across their entire career. I've listened intensively to
individual albums, but never to such a cross-section of their work. I'm
again amazed at the originality of their songs. Their lyrics are inventive
and interesting and cover a broad range of subjects (think "Eleanor Rigby" to
"Blackbird" to "Fool on the Hill" to "Penny Lane" to "Rocky Raccoon") and
their harmony singing is really lovely. The melodies are catchy and often
beautiful. I think this is a body of work that will stand up through the
ages and will in years to come be recognized as musically important in the
way that George Gershwin's songs are now being recognized.

Lee Morgan
Mezzo-soprano

emusic.com