Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu Dec 14, 2000  12:08 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] remembering John Lennon

buzzcen@a... wrote:

> When I was in college at DePaul one of the most enlightening moments came in
> the last semester of my musicianship class when we were discussing 20th
> century music. We sat down not knowing what was the lecture topic for the
> day and low and behold the teacher played A Day in the Life off of Sgt.
> Peppers and went on to discuss its importance. The teacher was an excellent
> musician, composer of serious music and an effective lecturer.

When I was in college - and this was before the Beatles broke up, mind you, my
theory
teacher (who performed a lot of 20th century music and had us doing atonal
sight-singing
every day) brought into our advanced theory class for harmonic dictation some
songs from
Abbey Road, and for rhythmic dictation, the piano intro to "Martha My Dear"
from the White
Album.

Peggy

--