Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Mon Dec 11, 2000  10:42 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Vocal Lit books

I've almost completed an annotated vocal pedagogy bibliography in HTML
format. I can send it to you if you want(I'm a 44 year old baritone with
very limited pedagogical experience, however). Our prof. uses The Structure
of Singing by Richard Miller, which I can recommend. In my searching I have
discovered a few books which stand out: Dynamics of the Singing Voice by
Meribeth Bunch doesn't have vocal exercises, but it has very clear
illustrations of vocal anatomy and descriptions of phenomena; Training
tenor voices, by R. Miller, is good not just for tenors, particularily
since it interprets sonagrams nicely - the recent Training soprano voices
goes even further in this respect. Every book I've ever read about singing
has something I can disagree with, so I would advise: don't look for
perfection, nor set up any authority as the final one.
john

At 04:43 PM 12/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>What are some good Vocal Lit books? What do you profs use in your Vocal Lit
>classes and pedagogy courses?
>
>Thanks much.
>
>Carol Spradling

John Blyth