Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Dec 11, 2000  4:17 am
Subject:  Re: Physical Scaling, was women singing in head voice

On Sun, 10 Dec 2000 chosdad@c... wrote:
> COMMENT: While I do not know in detail the difference, I would
> guess that (to generalize) the high tenor and contralto larynx and
> vocal folds differ somewhat in their geometry - it is not a simple
> two-dimensional issue of vocal length and thickness.

Good point - I agree this is probably a factor.

> COMMENT: Tako has several times mentioned his neurological wiring
> theory about the ability of certain males to sing high. It is an
> interesting theory. From my experiences as a motor control theorist
> for human movement (walking, etc.), I believe there is a good bit of
> evidence to back up a different theory, namely that the intrinsic
> mechanical behavior of the system being controlled determines
> significantly what motor strategies the nervous system utilizes.

Again, I completely agree. I actually don't believe most me have the
ability to produce a true countertenor sound, with a full dynamic
spectrum. Most boys do experience an awkward "clunk" when their voice goes
haywire. Whether it's the sudden physical change or a neurological one, I
unfortunately don't know enough to say for certain... but I suspect it is
a combination.

Why else would you have boys who's voices never experience this "clunk?"
Is it because their larynges grow more gradually, and the brain has a
chance to make adjustments? Maybe, but I think there must be at least some
predisposition at the neurological level to coordinate the transition.

These boys are the exception, but perhaps not coincidentally, they are
often future countertenors. Maybe the additional criterion is a larynx
that is not too geometrically dissimlar from a child or woman's...

Thank you for being a part of this discussion - it is so interesting to
have your expertise in motor control!

Tako

emusic.com