Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Sun Dec 10, 2000  12:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: why do women sing in head voice?

In a message dated 12/10/00 1:22:28 AM Central Standard Time,
chosdad@c... writes:

> I think Rocio's thoughts are relevant here: "As far as chest, mix and
> head go, I teach my female students to start mixing around g4-a4 and
> transition into head voice around d5-e5. This doesn't mean
> I have them "pushing" pure chest up to g4, there are different degrees
> of chest as well in terms of how far down into the chest the resonance
> goes." Since Rocio is SLS, probably she shares Randy's viewpoint.
> Notice that she would seemingly agree with Christine that it is not
> "pure" chest.

You're correct in that the degree of the mix is varied but up till that point
it is all chest and that point is much higher than what Christine uses. And
you're right she probably is a real good singer, but I don't think we're
really discussing her singing per se. Although it might be brought up as an
example I do believe we are speaking in generalities more.

Randy Buescher