Vocalist.org archive

From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Sun Dec 10, 2000  5:39 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Spectral analysis

RALUCOB@a... wrote:

> craig,
>
> thank you for the response. i have no idea how any of this works.
> what is the equipment and how do you have it set up (pretend you are talking
> to an old man who has been left in the dust by these computer gizmos)?

Mike and Mary Beth,

I've not forgotten your request, but have been very busy with rehearsals,
performances and make up lessons, so here goes!

Oh, and Mike, I don't have to pretend that I'm talking to an old man left in the
dust by computer gizmos since that's pretty much exactly what I am myself ;-D

I purchased Garyth Nair's book (Voice - Tradition and Technology) this past
summer a week after I bought my computer and used the CD-ROM to install the
spectrogram on my computer. I've since downloaded a newer version from the web
site www.monumental.com . The CPU, mouse, keyboard and speakers are on a
wheeled cart which is next to the piano. Usually I place the monitor on top of
the piano, but sometimes it stays on the cart (I'm not satisfied with either
position). The monitor is only 15", so in order to see it you need to be fairly
close. The biggest problem I've found is being able to see singer and monitor
at the same time as the singer is watching the monitor. The answer, I think, is
another monitor (dream on Craig!). I'm using a basic cheap microphone (with a
long cord) that is fastened into a harmonica holder that goes around the
student's neck ties onto the computer cart and plugs into the sound card on my
computer. I don't use the system with every student at every lesson, but when
explanations, imagery, diagrams, drawings and mirrors have not produced the
desired results, with a flip of the switch, there on the screen is a graphic
representation of the problem providing us with a baseline that we can work
from.

The book says that the minimum hardware for running this system is Windows 95/98
or Windows NT 4.0; a 6x or higher CD-ROM drive; sound card and compatible
microphone and at least 16 Mbytes of RAM memory.

Hope this answers your questions! If it doesn't feel free to e-mail me
privately.

Cheers
Craig, Burnaby BC

emusic.com