Vocalist.org archive

From:  chosdad@c...
chosdad@c...
Date:  Sun Dec 10, 2000  7:21 am
Subject:  Re: why do women sing in head voice?

Dear Randy, Mike, Christine and List:

Well I don't think Christine needs my help, but geez guys, I think
you might ease up a bit!

I understand the point Randy and Mike have made about some classical
females making what they consider a prematurely low transition to
mixed voice from chest voice. But I feel that not all "classical"
female voices have that problem. Further, I think voices are
individual, and the ideal "mix" of registration and resonance etc. may
vary from person to person.

I haven't heard Christine, but a reasonable assumption would be that
she is an accomplished singer and let's take her word that she has an
even scale and doesn't carry what she considers a chest quality above
g4. Most likely what we have here is just a difference in semantics.

I think Rocio's thoughts are relevant here: "As far as chest, mix and
head go, I teach my female students to start mixing around g4-a4 and
transition into head voice around d5-e5. This doesn't mean
I have them "pushing" pure chest up to g4, there are different degrees
of chest as well in terms of how far down into the chest the resonance
goes." Since Rocio is SLS, probably she shares Randy's viewpoint.
Notice that she would seemingly agree with Christine that it is not
"pure" chest.

I think perhaps Mike mentioned that guys can take their chest up to G4
- I know what you mean but in strict terms I disagree. From my point
of view), I can't imagine taking "chest" up much above c4 (middle c)
unless it is going to be an unpleasant and strained tonal quality. I
feel my voice needs to start feeling heady below middle C (around G3),
and by middle C I am in more of a mixed voice, with my top voice
starting around f4.

Cheers,

Michael Gordon

emusic.com