Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Sat Dec 9, 2000  4:56 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] remembering John Lennon

In a message dated 12/8/00 9:43:46 PM Central Standard Time, thomas8@t...
writes:

> > Today is the 20th anniversary of the murder of half of a great songwriting
> > team, John Lennon. I'll be playing my favorite Beatles song, "The Long
> and
> > Winding Road" before I hit the sack tonight. How about the rest of youse?
> >
> > NGL

I've been listening to the Beatles a lot recently. I've always like them,
but my appreciation for their later work has become pretty deep. The songs,
and the cleverness and genius of their arrangements, coupled the influence of
avant garde recording techniques is really something else. I think growing
up you almost take a lot of their work for granted.

When I was in college at DePaul one of the most enlightening moments came in
the last semester of my musicianship class when we were discussing 20th
century music. We sat down not knowing what was the lecture topic for the
day and low and behold the teacher played A Day in the Life off of Sgt.
Peppers and went on to discuss its importance. The teacher was an excellent
musician, composer of serious music and an effective lecturer.

His discussion of that piece in an academic manner was very special.
Although you could see some in the class affect a snobbish attitude, you knew
in their hearts they liked it as much as those who professed it.

The Beatles truly had the ability to reach people across boundaries and those
of us able to realize it no that their cannon of work along with American
Jazz was the true geat music of the last century post 1930.

Randy Buescher