Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Sat Dec 9, 2000  4:38 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: head/chest voice; was: why do women...?

> Sometimes, if my voice is really
> tired, I will speak in head voice.

> I asked Peter Giles (English countertenor, ct
> scholar, and teacher of all fachs)about my
> observation, and he said he has noticed it, too.
> He further points out that speaking higher is
> easier on the voice, and he sometimes encourages
> people to develop that habit to lighten the load
> on their vocal cords.

> When I read out loud to my kids, I speak in a mix,
> or my voice tires easily.

What do these quotes tell us? Why do so many
"corporate power" women get sent to voice therapists
because their strong, low voices have made them
hoarse?

Because, I still put forth, women's voices naturally
fall into the head range. Some men's voices do, too
(especially men with high ranges, like Tako, who reads
to his kids in head to prevent strain). Hence,
composers have been writing music for women that falls
into the comfortable head range, for hundreds of
years.

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte
San Francisco, CA
ibracamonte@y...

7524 Re: head/chest voice; was: why do women...? John Alexander Blyth   Mon  12/11/2000   2 KB

emusic.com