Vocalist.org archive

From:  Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Date:  Fri Dec 8, 2000  1:11 pm
Subject:  Re: why do women sing in head voice?

Mike wrote:
> all kids yell and talk in chest voice. the heady mix you refer to i
>believe comes later depending on the nature of the gender roles presented to
>the child. ('the sun'll come up tomorrow, bet your bot...' heady mix? or
>does that have to be taught?).

Sorry, not *all* kids naturally use chest voice. When I
discovered I *had* a chest voice at age 18 (and I came from a somewhat
blue-collar southern family), it was something completely new and rather
foreign to me, and I had to learn how to deal with it and to reconcile it
with the rest of my voice, which was decidedly head-voice-based. Just as
each *person* is different, I think each *voice* is different, with its own
special abilities and potentials. Why try to squish everyone into the same
box? How boring it would be if we all sounded the same! And those of us
who teach would quickly be out of jobs if everyone's voice worked exactly
the same way. :-)

Leslie

Leslie Jones, D.M.A.; Contralto
Dept. of Music, Southeast MO State Univ.
LJones@s... - (573) 651-2339
LJones@s... - (573) 651-2339

emusic.com