Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Thu Dec 7, 2000  6:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] tongue problems

Jennifer wrote:

> My voice teacher has been the person who tells me that I need to keep the
> back of my tongue down for this vowel. He has explained that the back part
> of the tongue rises slightly and touches the molars in the back for this
> vowel. However, my tongue rises up A LOT on [i], especially at the top of
my
> range. I can see it myself when I sing in front of a mirror. I have been
> struggling with this for awhile and am wondering if there is some
> physiological reason why I cannot keep the back of my tongue down for this
> vowel. As I said before, this only happens on this one vowel. My teacher
> tells me this is an issue of tension and inadequate support.

There's a book by Alan Greene where he advocates that to. He describes how
to keep the tongue lowered for all vowels, but I couldn't find mine: it must
be in some parallel universe with some of my socks and bills. I'll have to
wait for a new astrological configuration for it to come back to our
universe ( I hope the bills continue there ).

Anyway, you can go to a bookstore and take at look: it's in the final pages.
He says you must sing on the HONH: larynx lowered, lifted soft palate and
the tip ot the tongue resting V-shaped at the bottom of the mouth FOR ALL
VOWELS.

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com