Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Wed Dec 6, 2000  10:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] vocal registers: was: Re: BAROQUE TENOR

At 08:30 PM 12/6/00 +0100, you wrote:
Dre, List,
I've been so busy that I've only lurked recently, but here for a quiet
moment is my related experience. As a mature baritone I've recently had the
opportunity to sing tenor solos a couple of times (nothing higher than an
A, I assure you real tenors!). Paradoxically they can be an easier sing
than real baritone parts because, for me, the tessitura results in less
skipping around my passaggio. I practice the part in almost pure head
voice, only mixing when I know it fairly well. If the St. John arias were
only a tone lower they would be quite comfortable for this baritone to
sing, therefore - provided a tenor can apply a similar 'head-voice'
strategy - a tenor with secure technique should be comfortable, once the
music is learned. In both of these instances I had to sing bass and
baritone respectively in the same concert with no ill effects. I would say
that the twin strengths of knowing the repertoire and having a secure
technique make a lot of problems go away. john

...>As for diffculty of the Bach Evangelist recitatives and the tenor
arias: Wunderlich just loved to sing both, in the Matthaeus that is. On the
next day he would sing an opera, so for a real good tenor, it cannot be too
difficult. There are a few highish notes in the recitatives but nothing
above a4 of course, and it does not stay high all the time, and there is
plenty of time to rest, so I don't see the problem, apart from the fact
that singing tenor is never really easy, unless you only sing operetta's.

>Best greetings,
>
>Dre

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico