Vocalist.org archive

From:  Takeshi Oda <toda@m...>
Takeshi Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Wed Dec 6, 2000  5:45 pm
Subject:  RE: vocal registers: was: Re: BAROQUE TENOR

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Lloyd W. Hanson wrote:
> >Still, what's the voice that for instance Carreras is using very much
> >singing his high pianissimo notes? Is it the normal tenor head voice
> >or is it a kind of lighter form of head voice?
>
> The Carraras high pianissimo notes are, most likely true head voice.
> Few operatic tenors use anything but the true head voice even when
> singing in mezzo voce.
>
> Falsetto is easily defined as the girlish voice you describe
> especially if you are unable to produce a crescendo in this voice.

I've always been mystified by what seems an inability to access true
falsetto in many tenors. Is it just trained out of them, or is because
their larynges are smaller...?

I guess the second explanation could sort of make sense, considering that
women have still shorter cords than tenors and there is basically no such
thing as a female falsetto (at least in the clinical sense). For a
baritone or bass using falsetto, the cords are loose but at their long
full length, right?

Thanks.

Tako

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
7400 Falsetto for Tenors Lloyd W. Hanson   Thu  12/7/2000   2 KB
7421 Falsetto for Tenors Tako Oda   Thu  12/7/2000   2 KB
8091 Re: Memory and Sleep Reg Boyle   Fri  1/5/2001   2 KB

emusic.com