Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Wed Dec 6, 2000  1:40 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] BAROQUE TENOR

Tako wrote:

> "Countertenor" Head voice is developed independently of the speaking
> voice, usually. At least in the sense that one doesn't have the goal of
> reconciling it with the chest. The thinner vibrating body allows for
> higher frequencies. (and simpler spectra) Most women have full access to
> this register.
>
> Falsetto is altogether different - it has loose folds, and there is poor
> approximation (lots of breath lost). Breath pressure controls the pitch,
> since there is not much muscular control in the larynx. Many tenors can't
> produce it, from what I've heard. Not sure why...

That may be my female voice-like 'falsetto' ( at least, that's what I call
it ). As I said here on the list when I described my voice to someone who
was researching on countertenors, I feel like I have two 'falsettos': a
useless one ( at least, from the inside that's how it sounds ) and that
'female' voice ( since I found my head voice, I haven't practiced the latter
anymore. I used to be really good at it. Now, my focus is on my chest voice,
and then I'll focus on my mix ).

I have the impression that this kind of voice is too problematic: it must
have so many unique characteristics that it's hard to find a teacher who can
deal with it and develop all its potentialities. I think that must be the
reason why only now I've found someone who doesn't seem to be so clueless.

Thanks a lot,

Caio Rossi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
7375 BAROQUE TENOR Tako Oda   Wed  12/6/2000   2 KB

emusic.com