Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Yvonne Dechance" <ydechance@h...>
"Yvonne Dechance" <ydechance@h...>
Date:  Tue Dec 5, 2000  5:24 pm
Subject:  research survey invitation for NATS members

I was asked to forward this invitation applicable to any NATS members on
this list. If you are not a NATS member but would still like to know the
results of the survey, please contact the author at Singingtchr@a...

-y
Dr. Yvonne Dechance
aleatory@s...
aleatory@s...

Dear NATS member,

I am a candidate for the D.M.A. degree in Vocal Performance at the
University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa, and I am currently working on my
document titled, "Meditation for Singers: a Natural Treatment for
Performance Anxiety." This project is designed to provide a useful and
simplified reference on meditation designed specifically for those singers
who would like to explore it as a possible treatment. I am working under the
direct supervision of Dr. Susan Fleming, D.M.A., Professor at the University
of Alabama. In this document, I intend to briefly review the various
traditional treatments for performance anxiety, provide working definitions
of "meditation" and identify its basic elements, provide descriptions of
various forms of meditation and their objectives as well as recommendations
for further study in each, and provide supporting scientific/psychological
research on the effectiveness of meditation in reducing stress and anxiety.
I would also like to briefly examine the issue of performance anxiety and
how it affects singers in particular. Toward this end, I would appreciate
your participation in a brief survey.

The questions contained in this survey are personal, however, your insights
are considered very valuable. Rest assured that your responses will be
reported only as group responses, and your name (which is not necessary) or
email address will remain confidential. The group results of the survey will
be posted on my home page at a later date, and I will be glad to notify you
when that is available (inclusion of email address required for
notification).

The survey is located at <A
HREF="http://www.nats.org/members/surveys.html">http://www.nats.org/members/surv\
eys.html</A>;
log in as you would any part of the Members' Section. For those of you who
have not yet visited the Members' Section, you can find instructions on the
home page for logging in under "Password Help."

Thank you in advance for completing this survey. PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR SURVEY
BY DECEMBER 15, 2000.

Thank you again for your participation and input.

Mary Beth Taylor
Candidate, D.M.A. Voice Performance
University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa
Singingtchr@a...