Vocalist.org archive

From:  cantare@p...
cantare@p...
Date:  Tue Dec 5, 2000  7:27 am
Subject:  Re: To Liz re: purity of expression

--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, "Elizabeth Finkler"
<mightymezzo@h...> wrote:
> On another tangent, regarding Karena's futile search for a
"Traviata"
> recording that would contain the same emotion as the production she
saw:
> Perhaps she has the same problem I do. I find opera recordings
rather flat,
> and need to have a bit of theater along with the music.

Liz:

Thanks for bringing that up - I may get flamed for this, but one of
the things that solidified my decision to learn to sing opera was when
I realized that, in my opinion, opera singing in itself, or even opera
arias in themselves, don't really make much sense out of the context
of the story and the drama. I perceived opera as being this
integrative art that takes all one's physical, mental and emotional
resources to learn, perform, and enjoy properly, and that is the big
draw for me.

I remember once on a different e-mail list on the subject of
spirituality, someone asked what would your "heaven" be, if you could
make it yourself? My answer was, to exist "inside" music. . .I don't
know how to further explain it, but to say that my consciousness and
my body would be completely united with music. Well. . .I found this
heaven, and it is in the performance of opera. You are literally
standing there in the middle of music - but not just in the middle
of it - your body is making the music come alive, in harmony with the
other instruments, and the costumes, and the acting, all to fully
express and bring to fruition this music - opera is literally heaven
to me!

So, for me, listening to a recording of something I've never seen and
don't really know the story of is, as you said, rather flat. Once
I've seen it, and better yet, LIVED it, (i.e., got into it, performed
it), it comes alive for me. I cry every single time I put on my disc
of Traviata - hell, I cried every night onstage in Traviata!

Anyway, thanks for bringing that up, Liz!

Take care,
Karena

emusic.com