Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Mon Dec 4, 2000  5:23 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Cleo Laine

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Karen Mercedes wrote:

> Actually, I've never really liked Cleo Laine. I was introduced to her on a
> recording of Sandy Wilson's execrable musical VALMOUTH, and I took an
> immediate dislike to her. I've heard her do jazz standards, and found her
> somewhat more tolerable, but I really dislike the voice, and find I'm
> happier with other jazz stylists as well.

When you talk about Cleo Laine's singing, you have to talk early Laine and
late Laine. The early Laine was an incredible soprano with a wide
vocal range, beautiful legitimate tonal resources and personality to
burn. Later Laine, while still an incredible artist, has to be placed in
the category of song stylist; the voice is not pretty, her range is in
the cellar, but the vocal personality is still intact.

Mark Montgomery

emusic.com