Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Mon Dec 4, 2000  12:03 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Cleo Laine

Hi Jan,

Well, that would probably account for it!! Yes, I
think Dame Cleo was a UK US phenomenon in particular!!
I say was, I should say is: she's just started out on
tour (again)with her husband John Dankworth; they're a
bit like the jazz version of the Bonynges! And the
poor old bag is 73!! Still, if anybody is able to
catch her in concert do!! It's enorously relevant,
funnily enough to the debate at the moment re. vocal
performance/expression.

Cleo Laine, by rights shouldn't be able to speak, let
alone sing, and some of her singing is decidely muzzy,
but my goodness, she's a wonderful musician, and she's
also able to make you feel enormously satisfied. And
she has the most extraordinary high notes. For many
years she was in The Guiness Book of Records as the
highest recorded singer. A B in altissimo at the end
of Sondheim's Being Alive. I know that's got nothing
to do with anything: I just love useless information!

Best wishes,

Ian Voice wrecker to the stars!

7315 Re: Cleo Laine Karen Mercedes   Mon  12/4/2000   2 KB
7316 Re: Cleo Laine thomas mark montgomery   Mon  12/4/2000   2 KB

emusic.com