Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Mon Dec 4, 2000  2:03 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: purity of expression

In a message dated 12/03/2000 6:41:59 PM Central Standard Time,
RALUCOB@a... writes:

<< think of how many singers only vocalize legato. do you ever hear
many
people vocalizing staccato? why not? is it so easy that it need not be
practiced? how many singers vocalize in minor, for that matter? how
many
singers speak the text seperately as a character (and not as a vocal
exercise)?

Everyone in my studio vocalizes staccato and gets that down well before they
try legato. Minor - depends. I like to try to take song excerpts for
vocalises (especially if they have a combination of staccato/legato) and
sometimes they are in minor, sometimes not. And as a character - I encourage
it in their home practice but my students are mainly such beginners that I
haven't had time to work it - hopefully before the Wisconsin School Music
Assn Festival, I can start working that....

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com