Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Sun Dec 3, 2000  10:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] To Karen Re: purity of expression

Karen,

Re. your delving into Traviata, have you come across
the English National Opera's recording in English from
the early 80's? Violetta is Valerie Masterson, who was
a great favourite in the UK and on the continent,
especially in French repertoire. For my money, her
reading of Vi is just right. She has a fragile and
very beautiful voice, which, in the theatre was very
telling.

If you can't get it, I will happily copy it for you to
give you an idea. That bit when Alf thows the money at
her is one of the most heart-rending things I've ever
heard!! She sings with this thin, almost girlish
sound, and she sounds as if her heart really is
breaking!! Marvellous stuff!! A friend of mine, who's
heard the record for nearly 20 years, still has to
reach for her hanky!!!

Best wishes,

Ian Voice wrecker to the stars!

7303 To Karena Re: purity of expression cantare@p...   Mon  12/4/2000   2 KB
7305 Re: To Karena Re: purity of expression Sally Collyer   Mon  12/4/2000   2 KB
7306 To Karena Re: purity of expression cantare@p...   Mon  12/4/2000   2 KB
7307 To Karena Re: purity of expression cantare@p...   Mon  12/4/2000   2 KB

emusic.com