Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@s...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@s...>
Date:  Sun Dec 3, 2000  7:48 pm
Subject:  Great Teachers

the one and only mike wrote:

> the best thing i can say about john is that i am still learning the
>things he taught me. how many teachers can you say that about?

Beautifully put, mike, as usual. I had one teacher whom I put in this
category, the late Glenn Parker. (I'm sure others on the list know and
remember him as well.) Glenn was an extraordinary accompanist and a born
teacher, as well as a shining soul. He lived only forty-some years, but
those years were jam-packed with musical accomplishment and continue to be
an inspiration to me. His mind was incredible, his fingers godlike, and
his sense of humor delicious: I remember his doing a Dichterliebe with
Jean-Ronald LaFond (sometime vocalister) at college which was so
spontaneous it sounded as if both of them extemporized the whole thing.
After the concert I told Glenn I felt the Schumann sounded as if he'd
written it, and he replied with perfect deadpan timing, "Oh Naomi, I DID."

Glenn was one of the first people in the music world to recognize and
encourage my uniqueness -- it was he who originated the term Planet Omi,
the only place I could possibly have come from!

I digress of course, but thank you mike for the opportunity to share my
memories of this incredible human. I miss him.

Naomi Gurt Lind

emusic.com