Vocalist.org archive

From:  cantare@p...
cantare@p...
Date:  Sun Dec 3, 2000  7:10 pm
Subject:  Re: purity of expression

Dear Mike -

I like what you are saying here, because I feel something similiar. I
was just in the chorus of a local production of Traviata. We had two
sets of Violetta and Alfredo - one set was vocally and technically very
proficient - they really knew how to sing nearly flawlessly. The other
set were a little rough vocally - they had good basic instruments and
techniques, but for various reasons, at times, were a bit shaky
vocally. Guess who were more passionate and committed to their roles,
who had better chemistry, who made you really believe you were seeing a
dying woman and her lover on stage? Ya. . the ones who weren't so
perfect vocally.

One weekend during the rehearsal period, I took a little trip to New
York, and stopped in at the Met gift shop (I was pretty appalled at the
bizarre star-worship/fetishistic focus of that venue, but that is for
another time). Anyway, I took advantange of their listening stations
and listened to all the different recordings of Traviata that I could.
I heard some great voices singing some great music, but the thing that
I didn't hear much of was *heart*.

Do you know the ensemble piece that comes in the 2nd act after Alfredo
throws the money at her, the dad yells at him, and he expresses his
remorse, etc. . .that gorgeous, heavenly music that follows, with
Violetta's line floating and pulling overhead, and the chorus and
ensemble making this beautiful blanket of sound underneath her, and the
crescendos and descrescendos building tension to that beautiful release
toward the end? Well, you can see how I perceive this music
emotionally, and I listened in in vain for any recording to do this
music justice, to give it the emotional reading it deserved. No matter
how famous or well-regarded these singers were, I didn't think any of
them beat out our Violetta in the expression department.

Maybe it was because they were studio recordings, or maybe, as I
suspect, the whole business of opera can suck the artistic joy right
out of you, these singers seemed to be singing with themselves in their
minds rather than with the music in their hearts. That's what made me
decide that if this is what it means to be at the top of this
profession, I don't want it. Give me expression, passion, and
emotional commitment over uninvolved, self-conscious perfection any
day!!

Karena

cantare@p...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
7289 Re: purity of expression Lloyd W. Hanson   Sun  12/3/2000   5 KB
7298 Re: purity of expression cantare@p...   Mon  12/4/2000   6 KB

emusic.com