Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Robin L. Frye" <R.L.Frye@w...>
"Robin L. Frye" <R.L.Frye@w...>
Date:  Sun Dec 3, 2000  5:43 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "Scratchiness" in singing vs speaking voice

Gabrielle wrote:

>When I went to their
home for the meeting, I was greeted by the prevailing and overwhelming odor
of cigarette smoke. Both parents were heavy smokers, and the stench
permeated every inch of the house. After 15 minutes in that house, *I* had
a scratchy throat.

This rings a bell, unfortunately. I remember meeting a piano student for
the
first time, many years ago, and asking her if she had a cold, because she
definitely sounded as though she did. After some time, I realized that was
how she ALWAYS sounded. Later, I learned that both her parents smoked,
and yes, in the house.

Robin Lynne Frye
Mezzo-Soprano
Voice and Piano Teacher