Vocalist.org archive

From:  Sally Collyer <scol8413@m...>
Sally Collyer <scol8413@m...>
Date:  Sun Dec 3, 2000  5:24 am
Subject:  Voice classification by anatomy

The reference for the paper regarding voice classification by palate is as
follows:

Marunick, Mark T. 2000. Maxillary Dental Arch Form Related to Voice
Classification: A Pilot Study. Journal of Voice, March: 82-91

I haven't yet read the paper, so I am summarising from the abstract. The
subjects were 9 female professional singers aged 26 to 53. Their voices
were classified as soprano, mezzo or alto, from audio recordings, using
speaking fundamental frequency, spectral analysis, voice profile, and
tessitura. The researchers measured two widths and two depths (A=from
first molar, B=from first bicuspid) of each subject's palate; they also
made casts to determine the volume by fluid displacement. To quote the
abstract, "the discriminant analysis revealed that no single measurement is
a predictor for voice classification. However, the discriminant analysis
applied to the predictors depth A, depth B, and volume gives optimal
results, ie, each subject was classified in her true group."

Sally

(PS: Thank you for the welcome back, Cindy. I have missed Vocalist and
look forward to renewing old friendships.)

emusic.com