Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Domisosing@a...
Date:  Sun Dec 3, 2000  1:04 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Problematic choir teachers....HELP!

Thanks Lloyd and List,
These are all excellent suggestions for my dilemna. ALthough my first
reaction is anger and therefore I want to go in and shred the
guy.........ultimately this is not best for my students. They need to be
encouraged and shown how to maneuver through this. I think it is wise to
address with him how we can work together to build his choir, and also I need
to somehow gently hold him accountable to the way he has been maligning my
students and studio, and how they are perceiving his attitudes.
As far as his objections, I think the strongest one is that the aesthetic
he holds to, ie. the Cambridge Singers, he believes is not compatible with
the vocal timbres that my students are exhibiting. He realizes that my
students are building strong solo voices, but he calims they are not able to
blend with the other voices in the choir. This baffles me because I know that
my students should be able to apply proper singing techniques throughout all
of their singing situations, so I'm really not sure what is going on. The
only thing I can think of is that perhaps because my students sing with
blended registers instead of falsetto, there is a richer harmonic their
voices produce because of more compression in the folds, which therefore
pierces through the sounds of the other voices............just a thought.
Anyway, thank you all again for your support, input and encouragement.
Mary Beth F.

emusic.com