Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Sun Dec 3, 2000  12:55 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: CHILD SINGERS: BILLY GILLMAN

MIke wrote:

> in the credits on his cd, he thanks the voice teacher he's had since
he
> was eight. he thanks her for teaching him how to belt. pretty healthy
> sounding voice.

I didn't notice any belting in "Oklahoma" ( as I recall ). I can remember a
beautiful head voice and very good taste in vibrato ( mostly when compare to
other ADULT country singers ). And his delivery is touching: he expresses
feeling without imitating cliched adults. I was and am still amazed! I
looked for his cd in the local stores here today but I couldn't find any. I
think I'll have to get it from the US ( which means 60% of importation
tax...aarrghh ).

> unlike most singers his age, billy gillman seems to sing about things
he
> knows about.

That's what I meant above. And it's funny to see him wearing braces during
zoom-in closes. They don't try to sell him as a singing dwarf ( what's
common in Brazil: singing children behaving like adults. I can't even stand
a child behaving like a child! ).

emusic.com