Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Guardians" <elflein@m...>
"Guardians" <elflein@m...>
Date:  Sat Dec 2, 2000  8:59 am
Subject:  "Scratchiness" in singing vs speaking voice

I know this subject has already been hashed over...I don't even remember who
originally posted the question. I remember a lot of technical answers,
involving the technique of the student in question.

I have one point to ponder that wasn't brought up, however.

I had a student with the same difficulty, and was just as stymied about what
was causing it, nor could I find ways to improve it. I was terribly
frustrated, and studied everything I could find, to try and locate the
cause.

Eventually, in the ultimate of frustration, I made an appt. to speak to the
parents of the student, in an attempt to try and get them to have her
checked by an ENT for something I may have missed. When I went to their
home for the meeting, I was greeted by the prevailing and overwhelming odor
of cigarette smoke. Both parents were heavy smokers, and the stench
permeated every inch of the house. After 15 minutes in that house, *I* had
a scratchy throat.

My advice to the parents? Take their smoking outside, and have the house
professionally cleaned...and NEVER smoke in an enclosed car with their
daughter.
They hadn't realized what the second-hand smoke was doing to their daughter
(albeit this was several years ago, when NO ONE was thinking about the
effects of second-hand smoke) and when they moved the smoking outdoors, and
got the house cleaned up....6 months later, the scratchiness was gone from
their daughter's voice.

Just realize, that along with improper technique, external environmental
factors can play a significant role in some of the 'unexplainable' problems
our students may have. During the winter, I will get students who will
start showing the effects of wood-burning stoves or fireplaces in the same
way...that underlying scratchiness.

Just a point to ponder.

Harmoniously Yours

M. Gabrielle Ludwig, Ph.D
City of Zion Music

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
7268 Re: "Scratchiness" in singing vs speaking voice Robin L. Frye   Sun  12/3/2000   2 KB
7294 Re: "Scratchiness" in singing vs speaking voice Mezzoid@a...   Mon  12/4/2000   2 KB
7679 Re: "Scratchiness" in singing vs speaking voice Fiona Chow   Mon  12/18/2000   3 KB
7680 Re: "Scratchiness" in singing vs speaking voice Isabelle Bracamonte   Mon  12/18/2000   3 KB
7683 Re: "Scratchiness" in singing vs speaking voice EB   Mon  12/18/2000   2 KB

emusic.com