Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Guardians" <elflein@m...>
"Guardians" <elflein@m...>
Date:  Sat Dec 2, 2000  4:40 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Finding a teacher in NYC

<<Does this mean that she browbeats or teaches via intimidation? >>

Not necessarily. I've had wonderful teachers through the years who were
'not for the faint-hearted', and have also had that same phrase applied to
me. I consider it an honor, rather than a defamation.

In the case of my teachers, it meant they had exacting standards, and high
expectations. If I was not there to listen, learn and practice....I had
better rethink my priorities.

In my own case, I expect a lot from my students...and have dropped from my
student roster, many students whose priorities and practice methods weren't
compatible with my expectations. I haven't found it to be a hindrance to my
income...on the contrary, I have more than enough students at this time,
with a waiting list of several dozen more. I attribute this to the fact
that I am NOT for the 'faint-hearted', but that you WILL get what you pay
for.

Vocal instruction as a vocation, is not for the faint-hearted. ANY kind of
vocation in the music field is not for the faint-hearted. It is difficult,
time consuming, exhausting and sometimes, overwhelming. I demand no less
from my students than I am willing to give. And I'm willing to give quite a
bit. When I take on a vocal student (and I teach instrumental music as
well) I make it clear that this is not "choir class" (and I have nothing
against elementary, high school, or university choirs, in fact, I support
them whole-heartedly) but that it is hard work, and entails much more than
just 'singing songs'.

And I NEVER take on a student who is involved in 'Pep' or 'Cheer' and is
happily screaming their brains out several times a week at practice and at
games.

Might as well teach a pig to sing. It doesn't get anywhere, and annoys the
heck out of the pig. In my early days of teaching, I took on a few students
who were involved in pep and/or cheer....and realized after several weeks of
frustration that working with strained vocal cords was a total loss. You
might as well just keep a few business cards of good ENT's around, and hand
them out when the pep/cheer crowd come knocking on your door. They're going
to need them.

So...if my high standards, and refusal to teach someone who is purposely
ruining their vocal equipment makes me 'not for the faint-hearted' then
count me in.

Harmoniously Yours

M. Gabrielle Ludwig, Ph.D
City of Zion Music