Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Sat Dec 2, 2000  3:00 am
Subject:  NOSE RESONANCE

Lloyd wrote:

> Sensations of tone or tone placing are common devices to improve
> singing tone. They are a kind of tuning device which allows the
> singer to adjust his vocal tract such that he/she can securely
> produce the desired tonal result. But it is important to keep in
> mind that these placement sensations are not where the tone is found.
> They are only conduction of sound sensations. The tone remains in
> the pharyngeal and mouth area where they are filtered by the shape of
> this vocal tract.

I've always tried to place sensations everywhere, and one of them
depending on the teacher ), was in the nose ( for higher pitches ). Jeffrey
Allen teaches that in his book too. I've been having some brand new
experiences with my new teacher: she focuses on my sensations in the mouth
only, not anywhere else ( BTW, her teaching method resembles so much what
Lloyd and SLSers usually say that I felt like having a deja-vu during my
first class ) . She says mask and nose resonances are only... resonances.
Generally, after I exercise for a while and automatize what I have to do, I
stop paying attention to my mouth and start 'checking systems': it's
incredible how my sensation of resonance in the nose, mask and head are
there, all I need to do is focus my attention to them. Now I KNOW what those
resonance sensations really are without even trying to cause them.

I think that's the problem with placement: the intention of placing your
voice forward TENDS TO create a squeeze in the neck ( my experience and that
of some people I know ) that makes it impossible to sing. And you can only
feel what it is once it is 'properly placed'. As it is impossible for
something to cause itself, the first time people get to do it must be due to
mere accident.

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com