Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Domisosing@a...
Date:  Fri Dec 1, 2000  9:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] TEACHING METHODS

Just wanted to add more of my opinions about spectral analysis.
Mike, I think you have a naive knowledge about the power of spectral
analysis.............not flaming here. :), just observing.
As I've been studying this term, it is amazing to me the amount of
knowledge one can glean from a spectogram. If it is done using Fourier's
analysis, all the components of the sound can be broken down and analyzed.
Vowels, consonants, breathing etc even pitch can be analyzed. Further, by
analyzing the spectral peaks of energy, more commonly known as the first,
second and third formants, one can identify how adequately the vibrator is
coupling with the resonator............in singing, I believe this is
identified as the singer's formant at a particular Hz range, and
psychologically is indentified as the "ring" in the voice. I am absolutely
fascinated by the possibilities and the improvements that can be made in
one's voice by using and analyzing these "graphs."
Just my two cents worth............and hopefully it was accurate, I'm
exhausted as I'm cramming for finals next week.
Mary Beth Felker

emusic.com