Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
"Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
Date:  Thu Nov 30, 2000  11:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Advice on diction class

Sandra,

As a voice teacher and diction teacher in an academic setting I offer the
following for your consideration.

- Go to the college and ask for an appointment with a faculty member who
does student advising.

- Explain your plans to the advisor and ask which music courses are
available to non-majors. Your plans may be thwarted before they begin
because of "majors only" restrictions placed on courses.

- If the diction courses are open to you, ask if they are sequential and/or
continuing courses. If there's no requirement regarding sequence or
prerequisites ask if the voice faculty have a preferred order of courses
based on their needs in the studio. That failing, introduce yourself to the
diction teacher and ask his or her advice.

-Request a copy of the current college/university "Bulletin." The bulletin
book which list of all degrees, certification programs,majors, minors, etc.
and includes all academic regulations which govern your life as a student.
Request also a copy of the "course sequence" in the degree track in which
you're interested. The "course sequence" lays out the order in which the
department recommends the courses be taken and the number of course/credit
hours required for the degree, planned out by semester.

If you're going to begin taking courses which will be required for your
major you should take into consideration the institution's requirements and
recommendations regarding sequence.

You can certainly get some of this information via the internet but do plan
to make personal contact with someone in the department.

Regards,
Cindy Donnell
I'm not currently enrolled in college for a music major-am going the private
route. I live in a town with a university (offering up to PhD in vocal arts
programs) am starting to take a class here and there. I'm considering
either a English diction class or a French diction class for spring
semester.

emusic.com