Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@m...>
Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@m...>
Date:  Thu Nov 30, 2000  8:00 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Breathing question

"Robin L. Frye" wrote:

> I feel very strongly that voice students should have a clear understanding
> of the physiology of the singing voice, and I can't think of an element of
> the voice that does not contribute to or is not affected by the breathing
> process. I have had teachers who talked about what was going on with this
> muscle or that and teachers who taught almost exclusively through the use of
> imagery. I can tell you that I think the former is the only sound way to
> teach.

> Whew. Is anybody still reading this thread? ;-) Good night.

Yes, I am.

I agree with you thoroughly. Although I teach children only, there has not been
a single artist in my 45+ years who has not had the opportunity to go home after
lessons and teach her mom about breathing. I work on breathing, although many
tell me it's not important anymore, with all my kids and teach them which
muscles and marvels control the process.

I may have the only kids in the industry who study breathing techniques along
with everything else and who know about raising their chests and opening their
throats. I've had kids jump the gun on me when I stop a song or exercise and
they tell me (instead of me to them) "I know. My throat closed" or "I let my
diaphragm collapse. Can I try it again."

Just wanted you to know someone in New England supports your thinking.

Dean FH Macy

--
http://www.mp3.com/stations/epilogue_records_artistshtml
"The great danger for humans is that we will walk by the

emusic.com