Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Wed Nov 29, 2000  7:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Breathing question (or HELP ME, IAN!!)

Hello Annabelle,

Probably going against all the censorship talk at the
moment and at the risk of being patronising,yes, I
have read all the books about Caruso et al, but I'm
gonna have to say, I think you've misinterpreted what
I've said, and what all the great artists you
mentioned have said. Actually, on your list, Joan
Sutherland is the only one who's voice is comletely
free to do what it likes!! Even Caruso, who I adore
forces like Hell sometimes!! And Tetrazzini, wonderful
vocalist though she was, was at a loss to have any
good vocal colour lower down in her voice!

I must also at this juncture explain the difference
between a student of three years and a professional
teacher and singer of thirty years!; let's not forget
that also. There are lots of people on this list who
are excellent teachers, excellent singers, and both.
Some however are not, and there we must make a
distinction.

You must understand Annabelle that when at the Royal
College of Music, I had my voice very badly damaged by
the so called bel canto technique you obviously agree
with!! Now, I had been singing for twelve years
professionally before I went to the RCM without a
single glip or bump. This was simply because I was
doing it correctly: no more, no less! When a breath
'support' method was imposed upon me, within three
months I could not speak. This is one of the reasons I
started to teach, and this is one of the reasons I
feel I must deal most harshly with critics!!

Annabelle, I teach opera singers, musical singers, pop
singers. I am an opera singer myself who happens to be
lucky enough to be versatile. There is only one way to
sing. Let me assure you of that. It is far easier to
sing Che Gelida Manina than Who Wants To Live Forever
by Queen!! I don't sing in choirs or choruses, so
sometimes I am at a loss when people have interesting
questions on the list re. these facets of the music
industry. All I do, is teach people to sing with what
they've got, be it operatic or pop!

You will find I am right (I am not being bigheaded,
but when you've been doing it as long as I have,
you're entitled to blow the trumpet a bit!)if you try
your old breath support methods you will get hampered
with tension and all the problems that come with it!

Anyway, I'm very glad to have your interest, and hope
what I've said causes a riot!! I will add (and I
believe I've said this recently?) Not once (apart from
the RCM debacle) has my voice let me down. I sing
comfortably any notes I wish. I am a high baritone in
fundament, but can happily sing a tenor high D if I
wish, as well as a bass one!! That's 'cos I do it
right!! I will admit, the bass one will probably never
be a 'money' note however!

Best wishes,

Voice wrecker to the stars, and right old know all!!

Ian