Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sandra" <sandra@b...>
"Sandra" <sandra@b...>
Date:  Wed Nov 29, 2000  7:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Breathing question

Lloyd wrote:
> The onset exercises (a la Miller) also include offset as a part of
> the exercise. I have found that emphasizing clean offsets at the end
> of a tone requires an ever so slight pulse of breath. ...In other words,
the exhaling pulse,
> slight as it is, rebounds into an inhaling mode. Taking a breath
> after a properly executed offset then becomes automatic and removes
> the need to try to inhale.
>
> Miller expands his onset/offset exercises into multiples of 2, 3, 4,
> 5, and even 6 onsets/offsets with a conscious breath after each of
> the multiples even though there is a natural, small rebound breath
> after each offset.

Thank you, Dr. Hanson, for your reply. I think I may be doing these
exercises already, however since we do not talk about what each individual
exercise intends to accomplish in detail in my lessons, I cannot be sure. I
know that sounds lame, but this is largely my choice. This is because I
tend to overthink while trying to perform certain exercises if I know
specifically what it intends to accomplish. Ever have a student like me?
:) (Just because my teacher and I don't talk about specific technical terms
regarding breathing, it certainly doesn't mean necessarily that we aren't
doing exercises to address the related issues.) I do not have the Structure
of Singing, only the Art of Singing. Before I buy the book (limited
budget), would it be asking too much to ask you to describe these
onset/offset exercises in more detail? I don't know how possible that is
over email.

I will certainly bring the info. you provided me to lesson to help me
identify if I am doing the things you have suggested. Still, any additional
info. you would like to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again-
Sandra

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
7373 Breathing question Caio Rossi   Wed  12/6/2000   2 KB
7384 Re: Breathing question Susan Schneider   Wed  12/6/2000   2 KB
7399 Re: Breathing question Lloyd W. Hanson   Thu  12/7/2000   2 KB

emusic.com