Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
"David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Wed Nov 29, 2000  4:28 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Breathing question (or HELP ME, IAN!!)

----- Original Message -----
From: Sandra <sandra@b...>
To: <vocalist-temporary@egroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2000 9:48 PM

<<How about it, for those of you who teach,
> but how many of you A) actively discuss mechanics and work on breathing
> exercises with that approach, versus B) don't get specific about the
> mechanics with the idea that many students only use this information to
try
> and control muscles and get in their own way in the end?

Sandra,

I don't discuss breathing much after the beginning of the year (unless it is
called for), but I do like to have my students understand the basics of what
is going on, and what is not going on. I think a certain amount of
anatomical knowledge is worthwhile, if only to make you aware of charlatans.
I went through a long period in my singing where I tensed up in my
breathing, so I understand why many teachers downplay its importance.

I try to remind my students often that any good thing I tell them can be
taken too far, and that we are trying to establish a comfortable middle
ground between extremes. If we work on comfortably lowering the larynx, and
succeed, it is my job to make sure the student doesn't try to lower it any
more. Sometimes, I find my students going in a pendulum fashion, one lesson
with an excessively bright sound, the next with a woofy one. The trick is
find that happy middle ground.

In regard to breathing, the inhalation portion is not too difficult, once
good posture is achieved. The balance between the abdominals and the vocal
cords, or onset, is a much more difficult process. Again, we strive for a
balance between the extremes of breathy onset, and glottal attack. I
believe that each student should be taught in the most effective way for
them. Some of my students' eyes glaze over when we talk technically, but
understand immediately when I use images. Other students roll their eyes
when I use images, and it clicks when I talk tech. I try to use some of
both with every student, though, because I believe each style has an
importance, in a left-brain, right-brain sort of way. So, to answer your
question...C. I use both!

Of course, I am relatively new to this, and always feel a little
self-conscious when I post to this group, but nothing ventured, nothing
gained, right?

Breathily,
David Grogan
East Texas Baptist University
Marshall, Texas

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
7078 Re: Breathing question (or HELP ME, IAN!!) Sally Collyer   Thu  11/30/2000   6 KB

emusic.com