Vocalist.org archive

From:  cantare@p...
cantare@p...
Date:  Wed Nov 29, 2000  4:16 am
Subject:  Re: Older students/school advice

Dear Vicky, Judy, and list:

I thought about your advice, and decided to audition and was accepted
(just less than an hour ago!) into a very well-regarded semi-
professional choral group in my area, and I'm SO excited!! I am
looking forward to improving my musicianship, learning some new music
and getting to know people and letting them get to know me! YAY!!
Thanks for all the advice :)

Yours,
Karena

--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, Mike & Vicki Bryant
<mbryant@f...> wrote:
<mbryant@f...> wrote:

> vtec> << Thanks, Vicky - but how do people hear you or know what
you are like
> vtec> as a solo performer when you are singing in a chorus (unless,
of
> vtec> course, you sing solos regularly there!)? >>
>
> Judy responded:
>
> vtec> If you're good, (and the conductor is too!) you'll get
noticed, I guarantee
> vtec> it. Often, you must audition to participate--the conductor
will certainly
> vtec> hear you then.
>
> vtec> Once you're in, it's a good idea to sit up in front at
rehearsals, always
> vtec> know your music and pay attention. Reliability and a good
attitude definitely
> vtec> count!
>
> vtec> Small groups often choose their soloists from among their
ranks. Even large
> vtec> choruses that hire professional soloists often need people to
sing in small
> vtec> ensemble numbers or small solos. Go for it!
>
> Thanks Judy, that's exactly right! And to your comments, I would
add
> that very often the other members of the chorus will send referrals
> your way if they know that you're looking for solo work, that
you're good,
> and that you are easy to work with.
>
> Vicki Bryant
> Naperville, IL