Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sandra" <sandra@b...>
"Sandra" <sandra@b...>
Date:  Wed Nov 29, 2000  3:48 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Breathing question (or HELP ME, IAN!!)

Annabelle wrote:
> I have always been taught that breath support is one
> of the foundations of healthy singing. I have only
> been studying for three years. But my teacher's
> roster includes very successful and famous singers who
> give all their credit to her.
>
> Ian do you teach opera singers?

I look forward to hearing the answer to this question, as I also am
receiving classical training with someone who is a fairly successful opera
singer and who trains opera singers who seem to do well. Yet what Ian has
said seems to be similar to what I hear in lessons. I know there are some
teachers training people to sing opera who focus on breathing mechanics.
But it seems there are also some who prefer not to talk about the specifics
of breathing with the idea that calling too much attention to breathing
mechanics will result in a student trying too hard to control muscles and
getting in their own way. Yet I suspect that most teachers would agree that
breathing properly is critical. How about it, for those of you who teach,
but how many of you A) actively discuss mechanics and work on breathing
exercises with that approach, versus B) don't get specific about the
mechanics with the idea that many students only use this information to try
and control muscles and get in their own way in the end?

Sandra

emusic.com